Why Do Conifers Make Great Mini Garden Trees?
~ Why do our true miniature and dwarf trees and shrubs make such great miniature garden trees? Well, let me count the ways!
- Our miniature garden conifers get better and better with age. The trunks thicken, the branches reach out and a they become “big” mini garden trees.
- There is something for every spot. Some are super hardy. Some are really tolerant of dry conditions and others are happiest in shade.
- They are evergreen! A lot of them will change color in the winter for year-round interest.
- They are low maintenance. Water in the dry months to maintain wrung-sponge-damp soil.
- They grow into bonsai specimens on their own.
- They grow slowly and can stay in scale in your miniature garden for years.
Enjoy this photo blog of some before and after shots. All the trees you see in here are still in our miniature gardens today and there is a reason for it. I don’t like fussy plants. In fact, I kill fussy plants quite easily!
All the plants in our inventory have to pass through my busy schedule in order to get into our online store. If a plant dies suddenly because I looked away for a moment, it doesn’t pass the test. :o)
See the Jervis Canada Hemlock here.
See all our dwarf and miniature Hemlocks and other plants for shade here.
See all our miniature garden plants for sun here.
See what Japanese Hollys we have in stock here.
This Bud’s for You
The spring flush of new growth on the conifers are really a joy to behold. The colors of the new buds are usually lighter than the mature growth so you get to really enjoy it each and every spring.
Like this? You’ll love our FREE weekly Mini Garden Gazette! Join us here and confirm your subscription through your email. Join us here.
Wonderful examples of miniature gardens! I am so happy to see others enthusiastic about conifers (large or small). I’ve been thinking quite a bit about Fairy Gardens of late and just ran across your blog. Enjoyed the Werewolf Garden idea too!
I have recently moved into an apartment and don’t the patio space dedicated to mini-gardens like I used to. I had to give away all my wonderful potted gardens and saw they all went to good homes and gardens. I, eventually, would like to create some inside table top gardens and would love to be directed to the kind of plants and mini-trees that will flourish indoors. Any suggestions?
Hi Jan! Try Meehan’s Miniatures: https://www.meehansminiatures.com/ and/or https://www.VioletBarn.com – they both have miniature plants for indoors. I’ve dealt with both companies but I’ve only ordered online from Violet Barn, I saw Meehan’s Miniatures at the Philly Show and got a bunch of their plants to take home with me. Both have great plant material. – J.
Thank you so much. Very helpful.